1.05.2007

Grades

It appears that grades have started to trickle in. And, no matter how much I swear not to do it, I compulsively check my grades at least daily. I don’t know why I do this since I already know what they are going to be.

In law school I have received 11 grades so far, and, with one exception, all my grades have been +/- .33 of my median grade. In fact, my first semester my GPA was X, my second was X+.04, and right now it is X+.02 (although I still have two more grades to look forward to). Based on this, I must now make two assumptions: (1) grades aren’t really as arbitrary as I initially thought and (2) I have found my spot on the curve and I ain’t goin’ nowhere.

I have come to accept this. No matter how hard I study (or slack) and no matter how much (or little) effort I put forward, I am no batter than a GPA of X.

Acceptance, as I’ve mentioned before, is the final stage of grief.

By the way, this is post Number 100 on this site.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're more brave than I am. I haven't even looked at my grades yet. That's due in part to my decision to have a real break this time around, but it's also due to the fact that I'm certain that I got killed last semester. Looking at my grades would just be too depressing.

Ex.Coll. said...

I wouldn't say I'm brave.

I used to bet depressed about them, but then I entered "acceptance."

Anonymous said...

I thought I had accepted my place on the curve until I got my FIT grade. My emotional response was not one of acceptance. Acceptance would be too pleasant a description. Resignation seems more apropos. I came, I tried, I ended up exactly where I started. Quite disappointing I must say.