8.02.2006

Sucess!

As my summer gig comes to an end, it appears that it has been somewhat successful, and not just for me but my boss as well. While he hasn’t said anything yet, the office manager, as well as others (including his wife), has commented that he won’t be able to handle the office without me. I know this sounds like I’m full of myself, and maybe I am, but I think he really does need someone to take my place when I leave. Even if he chooses not to replace me, he did well before me and I’m sure he’ll do well after I’m gone. You see, good ol Ex.Coll was his first Law Clerk (which explains a lot, especially why he even hired me). Anyhow, this morning I helped the office manager get an ad ready so he can look for a new student to replace me in the fall. If I could, I’d stay, but my schedule at school is simply too hectic for be to even attempt to work. So, it looks like my last major task will be to seek out, interview, select the finalists for, and train my replacement.

This brings me to a moral dilemma. I can do one of two things: 1) select someone even more inept than me who will invariably fail (miserably, if this is the route I take) and therefore guarantee me a gig next summer and making a reality my self aggrandized view of myself, or 2) pick someone better than myself who will not only steal my job for next summer, but will reveal me for the fraud that I am. I’m afraid if I aim for the middle they will still be better than me.

What to do?
Either way, 12 more working days and pthphth I am gone

No comments: