8.11.2006

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Law School has ruined my ability to read.

I’m not saying that I’ve become illiterate, although I do find it exceedingly harder to read material that does not have footnotes. What it has done is completely destroy my ability to read one book at a time. I’ve tried to do as much recreational reading as possible this summer since I know that luxury will be taken away from me in a few weeks, but before I knew it I was reading 3-4 nonfiction books at the same time. Rarely would I read more than 10-15 pages at a time in either book. I don’t know how concerned this should make me, but my attention span was bad enough before law school without having to develop this habit.

I thought maybe the best way to kick this habit, or at least get around it for a while, was to read something fiction, but I generally don’t like fiction. Don’t get me wrong, I know there is plenty of great fiction out there, but I find it very hard to read and I don’t know why. In the last 5 years or so, I’ve only read one fiction book I can recall. Regardless, I decided to try one, so I picked out Anonymous Lawyer. I’ve never read the blog that led to this book, but I thought the Anonymous Law Firm website was hilarious (my favorite part is the page on diversity).

So far I’ve found the book to be very funny. But like all the other law students reading it, I wonder how much of this is grounded in truth. I suspect enough to make me glad that I never plan on working for BigLaw after I graduate.

--------------

Speaking of BigLaw, I finished up my OCI bidding. I’m surprised at how many firms I bid on. While I still had a good number of bids left, I used more than I thought.

I guess I should mention a funny quirk about my computer. You see it has a hard time processing certain combinations of letters and numbers, so it always displays “top 25%” as “top 90%” and displays “top 1/3” as “top 95%”. I suspect that may have been why I applied at more firms than I initially thought I would.

Maybe I should have that checked out…. Nah.

-------------

!!!OPERATION DECEPTION UPDATE!!!

I’ve made one offer for my replacement. I gave him until Thursday to get back with me… he didn’t. He was a great candidate, would have done a real bang up job, but I’m not sure how he would have interacted with the other attorneys’ staffs. It would have been interesting to say the lease. But, for whatever reason ($$$), he decided not to accept.

I tried explaining to my boss’ bookkeeper that they are going to need to at least double my salary to find someone, but I think she is hoping to capitalize on the desperation of a law student, much how they got me. However, unlike me, they are looking for someone to work during the semester. And to tell the truth, no matter how much I like my job, there is no way I would do it for the (lack of) money they pay me during the school year. I advised the bookkeeper that if that is their strategy, they are going to have to wait until the rejection letters from Fall OCI go out to find the desperate.

There is one other strong candidate, but I doubt that one is serious. She a student at Thrugood Marshall and I don’t know if she realizes that this is a not a summer job she is applying for. So, unless she plans on commuting from Houston every day while taking classes, I don’t think this is the job for her. I’m still wondering how she found out about the position. Maybe I should call her in for an interview just to fuck with her.

1 comment:

Hawk McGee said...

I'm going to go ahead and renew my call for all people everywhere to read The Milagro Beanfield War--quite possibly the funniest book I've ever read.