8.28.2006

Brief Review of Orientation… One year later.

Ah, orientation…

Orientations are always a weird kind of thing. Whether it be at work, school, a new cult, anything, the orientation is basically the last commercial they get to show you to make you believe that you didn’t make a mistake. What was most striking about UT’s orientation was the people they brought in, politicians, professors, judges, and of course, lawyers, lawyers, and more lawyers.

I remember what I thought about a year ago when I sat in the auditorium of the LBJ. I thought, wow! I’m really at UT. I’ll admit, the commercial had it’s desired effect on me. I thought of the possibilities. I thought of how all the students there were in the same boat as I am. Now, a year later, I’m far more jaded, cynical, (disgusted), and overall, disillusioned about law school and the whole “law school experience.”

This is not to say that it’s all been bad, just the “law school” part of the “law school experience.”

So my advice to any 1L reading and looking for some advice that is actually useful, enjoy the BBQ and beer while you can. Take advantage of all the free pizza, sodas, coffee, mugs, Wexis crap, cookies, and booze you can. Ditch the conversations with the professors and just make some friends.

BTW: I was too lazy to didn’t get to make it to the Book Exchange in time to sell all my 1L books, and I refuse to set foot on campus until I absolutely “have to.” Hence, I have some 1L books to sell. I’ll make it worth your while. Email me if interested.

2 comments:

The Lioness said...

Well apparently last year's "commercial" was a lot better than this year's. All of us 1L's have basically just been bored out of our skulls by this point. And the first day's not even over!

Ex.Coll. said...

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Also, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't boring. I did take a couple of naps those 2 days.