3.09.2007

Shame

It is 1 a.m. on Friday and what am I doing? I’m watching PBS.
What am I watching on PBS? A special on Kenny Rogers.
I don’t give a damn what anybody says, Kenny Rogers is a good singer.

It reminds me of about 10 years ago (Shit! Was it really a decade ago) when I was a bartender. [begin flashback]
I worked at a bar that had karaoke twice a week. My first karaoke night I was told of a guy who came in and “dominated” the stage. I forget his name, so I’ll call him “John.” It wasn’t long before I realized that karaoke night was really “John Night.” I heard how he would sing at least one in four songs all night long. I though he must have some talent, after all, people were coming just to see him. I couldn’t wait to meet the guy. After the karaoke guy set up, John made his appearance.
He had to have been at least 75 years old.
As soon as he took the stage I realized that all the admiration I had sensed was really sarcasm and mocking. Thinking back, I feel a little bad, but know he loved the attention.
I will never forget the first song I heard John sing. (read the CAPS as far more yelling than singing)
LADY!!!
I’M YOUR KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR
[dramatic pause]
[continue pause]
[damn, this is dramatic]
AND I love you.
You have made me what I am AND
[pause]
I am yours.

---
Go ahead, you know you want to click the following link:
Men who look like Kenny Rogers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know he'll be here the 22nd.

Ex.Coll. said...

I saw. I'm even considering going.