11.13.2006

God’s Gonna Cut You Down

A video was released for God’s Gonna Cut You Down, from American V: A Hundred Highways. American V was the last of Johnny’s albums and was released posthumously. Johnny had selected all the songs for the album, but the final mixes were put together after he died. I think the album was great and this song is defiantly my favorite from the CD, but I’m not sure about the video.

It is a nice tribute, but I’m not sure that it should have been mixed with the song. The people featured on it, IMO, don’t really fit the tone of the song, one of righteousness, of going forth and doing God’s will.

I’ve not read much about the video itself, so I may be wrong, but it seems to me it’s just a bunch of the Hollywood-hipsters (very few, if any, of them deserve to be put into the same category of JR Cash, but maybe that’s the point) taking short videos of themselves and superimposing them over a Johnny Cash song.

I’ve watched it several times and I just can’t get the visuals to go with the song.

Any Johnny Cash fans want to chime in?

No comments: