10.30.2006

More on cigars

For those who may be interested, the auction I referred to a couple posts back to raise money for the children of the Dominican Republic raised over $50,000 for the kids. The Culebra sold for over $1100 alone. If only I had the $$$.
---------------
And speaking of wishing I had the $$$. I decided to go over to Arlin Liss’s website. He makes what I consider to be the best humidors in the world. I’ve meet Arlin and he’s a great guy. He offered me a discount on one of his humidors, but unless that discount was in the range of 80-90%, I told him any negotiations would be moot. They are beautiful pieces of art and I have yet to hear of ANY complaint about them.
---------------
I finally got to smoke a bit over the last couple of days. Yesterday I smoked a bundled Honduran cigar from a bundle I got for free from Holt’s. I had bought very expensive (at least by my budget) box of cigars from them about a year and a half ago and they threw in the bundle for free. I couldn’t afford the box, so I split it with about 10 other guys. It was cool and I must do it again sometime.

As for the Honduran, it was good for the price. I think they go for about $3 a stick, and easily worth that, however I got my first dud of the bundle. The wrapper kept coming off. Normally this would be attributable to storage, but I double checked my hydrometer and all was okay. I inspected a few surrounding cigars and they were good too. Within a quarter of the cigar, the wrapper was flapping in the wind. A few puffs later said wrapper was gone with the wind. I always wanted to test the theory that the wrapper accounts for 90% of the cigar’s flavor, but it wouldn’t happen with this one. The constriction was so poor, the damn thing was falling apart in my mouth. Oh well…

Today I smoked a Hemingway Classic. True to it’s name, it is a classic cigar in every way, from its perfecto shape, to it’s flavor profile. The weather was perfect so I grabbed a chair, a book for class, and sat next to my apartment complex’s formerly condemned pool to fire it up. It was great. It was also about 6 hours ago. I’m now in the Tarlton trying to figure what the hell this statute says and longing for the relaxation of 6 hours ago….

No comments: