10.31.2006

George’s Café v. Lava Java

As many others have already mentioned, George’s Café is now open for business, and only about a year late for what I understand. Now I could just say which I like better, but that might be based on pure emotion, so here we go, a head to head comparison on the factors most important (to me): food quality, cost, variety, hours, environment, and convenience.

Food Quality (2 points)
This one is no contest. George’s has a decent selection of breakfast tacos, but Lava Java has a different kind of variety. Granted, I’ve never had a black bean and spinach on wheat, it’s nice to know that if I ever did, it’d be there. Lava Java is skimpy on their filling, but George’s doesn’t have the quality ingredients. As I ate my bacon, egg, and cheese and potato, egg, and cheese tacos, I couldn’t help but notice the obvious fast food ingredients. It tasted like Burger King in a tortilla. Also, the tortilla tasted like it was cold before the taco was even made. This was despite being there at 8 a.m. The winner: Lava Java.

Cost (2 points)
No question, for less than $3 at Lava Java I can get two tacos and a small coffee, at George’s that would set me back more than twice that. Plus, since they are currently not taking credit cards, you might have to add an ATM fee onto that. Winner: Lava Java.

Variety (1 point)
Much of this was covered in the Food Quality category, but there are more factors to consider. I’m not sure whether to include Po-Boy’s with Lava Java, but I don’t think that would change my decision. George’s not only offers the tacos all day, but they have sandwiches and soups. While I will probably never eat them, I’ve heard they are good. Winner: George’s.

Hours (1 point)
Lava Java 7:30 – Midnight, George’s 8:00-7:00.
While Lava Java only sells tacos until 10:30, George’s sells food all day. But when finals time comes to the Tarlton and Ex.Coll. needs his coffee fix at 10 p.m., I’ll be heading to Lava Java. Plus, the extra half hour in the morning helps out early birds like myself. Winner: Lava Java.

Environment (1 point)
George’s: contemporary look with lots of space, bright colors and new furniture. There are two big screen HD TVs keeping you up to date with the goings on at the law school.
Lava Java: Small, cramped, uncomfortable chairs, dark, and kind of hippie-ish. Personally, I like Lava Java better. I’d rater have hippie-ish more than Aramark-ish, a coffee shop more than a cafeteria, Austin more than everywhere else. I can see the appeal of George’s, but it’s not for me. Plus, it doesn’t fit in with the rest of the Law School. Winner: Lava Java.

Convenience (2 points)
Notwithstanding the hours, George’s defiantly wins this. Why? Location, Location, Location. Winner: George’s

So the final tally is 6-3 for Lava Java. Sorry George’s.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about coffee house art? Surely Lava Java would get negative 20 points on that criterion. Seriously, maybe it's the proximity to Po'Boys, but Lava Java is one depressing coffee shop. That said, their breakfast-tacos-and-coffee combo is fantastic. I'd happily pay twice the cost for such a meal up here.

Ex.Coll. said...

I’m not saying it’s the best coffee shop in Austin, but compared to the antiseptic feel of the new place, I think you would agree that that Lava Java’s got more and better atmosphere.

As for the price of breakfast tacos, I’d bet up in your neck of the woods, any kind of taco would command a premium.

Hawk McGee said...

divisadero's tacos get delivered by sled dog, so yes there is a premium.

I haven't been to George's yet, but I will say that I like Lava Java's tacos because I can get them on corn tortillas, and the salsa is very distinctive.

Anonymous said...

take a look at my favorite site -

[url=http://trailfire.com/ambien] side effects of ambien [/url]

http://trailfire.com/ambien
[url=http://trailfire.com/ambien] ambien eating [/url]