4.07.2008

Movie Update VIII: The Revenge

The movie watching has slowed to a trickle lately. That’s probably a good thing; anyhow, I’m down to 20 movies left on my list for me to see. I’ve knocked out over 2/3 of that list. There are roughly 6 weeks until graduation meaning I’ll need to average 3-4 movies a week. Very doable.

So, here are the latest movies I’ve seen:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (#54) – “Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!” What more do I have to say. Plenty, since I didn’t even know that this is the movie where that line came from. This is actually a very good movie. I think it’s the first Bogart movie I’ve seen, and the trivia I found over at IMDB is pretty interesting regarding this movie. Anyhow, it’s a movie about a few down on their luck Americans in Mexico. I’m sure there’s a good story as to how they got there, but they don’t go into that. Anyhow, they get a taste of gold fever and head out to them thar hill. Greed takes over, and what you have left is a great story about greed and human nature. I think this was a great movie and one I would likely see again. Recommended.

Sunset Blvd. (#30) – A great movie with a few iconic scenes and lines (“I’m ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille” is just one of the gems. Sure it might sound a bit trite, but in context it is a very sad scene). It’s a movie about a has-been silent movie actress who couldn’t make it in the talkies. Of course, I’m over simplifying it, there’s some social commentary and subplots involving romance, greed and friendship, but it really is a good movie. Highly recommended.

American Beauty (#38) – Somewhat disturbing. I think Kevin Spacy was very good in the movie, as was most of the rest of the cast. The subject matter can be offsetting at times, but only to the point that it serves its purpose in the film. I was hoping to see a little more ambiguity in the ending, but it works well as is. There is something to be said for a movie in which the most “normal” person in the movie is a troubled high school girl. This movie certainly isn’t for everyone, I’m still wondering if it was for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (#7) – Another Nicholson movie. Having already crossed The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly off my list, this was the highest ranking movie remaining. It was very good movie with a great performance from Nicholson (as well as Danny DeVito, whom I didn’t even recognize). In reading more about the movie, I find it odd that Nurse Ractched is taken as such a villain, even the AFI ranked her as #5 of the worst villains. Maybe I’m just a little morbid, but I didn’t think she was that bad. I’m not saying she was a sympathetic character, but I just don’t think she was all that bad. Anyhow, I recommend you see this movie. You should probably see it just because it was when Nicholson was a great actor unlike now where he is reduced to merely playing himself over and over.

1 comment:

Hawk McGee said...

Kevin Spacey was so good that I was thoroughly uncomfortable watching him hit on the high school girl -- I just couldn't watch the movie anymore.

I should watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again. The first time I saw it I had just read the book and was most unimpressed by how flat the movie version was.