4.21.2008

Movie Update IX: The Final Frontier*

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, its time for another movie update. I slowed down quie a bit from my original pace. I’ve seen these over the last two weeks or so.

Rashomon (#72) – the 2nd Kurosawa movie on the list and the second one I’ve seen. A simple story of a murder told from the perspectives of three witnesses. Kurosawa did a great job of illustrating how perception is rarely reality and really leaves you wondering. It was a fantastic movie. The imagery was great, the cinematography superb, and even for a black and white movie, beautiful shots. I think I prefer Seven Samurai over this one, but not by much. I highly recommend this movie, especially for those legally (or criminally) inclined.

The Pianist (#57) – I don’t get what was so good about this movie. I think it was okay at best. Adrian Brody’s acting was horrible, IMO. I’ll save you some time, pick up the DVD, take a good look as his serious expression in his face, and see if you can stand that expression (or lack thereof). If you can, you might like this movie.

There Will be Blood (#15) – This was an excellent movie. I can’t help but compare it with No Country for Old Men since they were both up for Best Picture. I think they were both great movies, but very different. While No Country was a character study, putting several interesting characters in a situation and watching them interact, this one was more plot driven. It was a good plot, but I didn’t see the connection of the two stories until after I thought more about it. Here’s the movie, in a nutshell, you have an oilman making his fortune during the turn of the 19th Century while a young boy follows a calling from God to start up a church. It is fascinating to see how these two correspond to each other. Overall, I think I like this one better than No Country, but both were excellent. Highly recommended.

A Clockwork Orange (#51) – A confession, for only the second time during this endeavor, I didn’t finish watching a movie. This one was too damn weird. After an hour into this movie, I couldn’t figure out what the hell was going on. The characters were beyond weird, the shots bizarre, the plot indecipherable – even the language was at, at times, nonsensical. I’m glad this was the last Kubrick movie I had to see. If it were the first I’d have dreaded seeing the rest. One day I’ll have to revisit this movie, but not now.

Maltese Falcon (#69) – This was a great movie. A suspense/mystery movie that really kept me wondering what was going on, who to believe, and what would come next – everything a mystery should do. Bogart’s acting was great (I think I’m becoming a fan) as was the rest of the cast. I also thought the story was good and didn’t waste time with a lot of character set-up. You are really put in the position of the private eye and you have just as much info as he does. Highly recommended.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#49) – Can you believe this is the first Jim Carry movie I’ve ever seen? I usually find him annoying, but this looked like a different kind of movie so it had been on my to-see list for a long time. I really liked the story in this one. I also enjoyed the storytelling and thought it to be a very good movie. Basically, a guy wants to have memories of an ex erased. Midway through the procedure he changes his mind and tries to stop it. It also showed that Carry just might be able to act like more than a dumbass.

North by Northwest (#27) – Hitchcock has yet to disappoint me. This was a great mystery movie. I also give it kudos for the most accurate depiction of drunk driving I’ve ever seen on film… or at least I’ve heard. Anyhow, if you like Hitchcock, I’m sure you’ll love this one. If you don’t like Hitchcock, what’s wrong with you? I think it also worth mentioning this is the first Cary Grant movie I think I’ve ever seen. He did a great job.

Jaws (#91) – Yes, I’ve now finally seen Jaws. (Jennebelle is probably thinking “about damn time!”) I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Great suspense even if the ending can already be assumed. But exactly how it ended threw me for a loop. Very good performances by everyone, and good special effects. I also like how you can see this move and not immediately identify it as being from the 70s.

Well, that leaves 13 movies on my list. Next up are: Lawrence of Arabia, Amelie, Modern Times, City of God, and Some Like it hot. In what order, who knows, but LoA is roughly 3.5 hours (bleh).

Back to Clockwork Orange for a bit – this is the opening scene. It freaked me out and it just got worse from there.



*Yea, I know it's a little late to be adding (what I consider) clever subtitles to my movie updates, but I did it anyway.

2 comments:

Hawk McGee said...

I actually watched Lawrence of Arabia at the Paramount Theater downtown a few summers back. Nice to hit the bar during the old-timey Intermission.

I kind of like A Clockwork Orange, but it is admittedly weird. The payoff is at the end. I tried reading the book a few years ago, but the language is in that same idiolect and it was impossible to read for any length of time.

I really liked Eternal Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand the point of There Will Be Blood. I knew the preacher was a false profit but I don't understand the point of killing him. It was certainly not what I was expecting.

Chup