3.10.2008

Movie Update V

M (#45) – This was a great movie. Another Fritz Lang film and it was truly a great movie. Everything from the acting, to the story, to the music, to the cinematography was fantastic. The fact that this is a movie from 1931 makes it all the more impressive. Here’s a quick synopsis, there’s a murderer on the loose who preys on kids. The killer’s been able to evade the cops for so long, they get stare getting desperate and are doing all sorts of random raids and checks. While not finding the killer, they are seriously intruding on the business of the city’s underworld. The gangsters get tired of the lost revenue and decide to look for the killer themselves. The final scene, IMO was fantastic. Anyone considering a career in criminal defense would enjoy it. The only thing I didn’t like about this film is that I could only find this on VHS (and old VHS at that, luckily this is the first time I’ve encountered this) and as a result the audio was fair, and the video was fair with some parts being nearly unwatchable. I guess I’m just spoiled since I’m complaining that I couldn’t find a 77 year old movie on DVD. This one is highly recommended.

Bridge on the River Kwai (#61) – I saw bits are parts of this movie when I was a kid, unfortunately the only part I remember was the ending. Despite that, when the film was reaching the climax, I was still on the edge of my seat wondering how it would end. The performances were all top-notch and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Sir Obi-Wan Kenobi play a Colonel. (By the way, it was, yet another, war movie.)

On the Waterfront (#84) – Ah… early Brando. Oddly enough, I think this is the first early Brando movie I’ve seen. I think a lot of people consider this his best work – I hope it’s not. While there were some fantastic moments in the movie, there were a few parts I found him annoying, and I don’t think it was the character. Regardless, it was a good movie. If you like classics I’d recommend it. It’s probably something I won’t return to, but I’m glad to have seen it.

-------
A few notes
So far, in my endeavor I’ve seen 18 movies of the 61 movies on my list. I’ll tell you it’s 30% just to satisfy the math geek in me. That leaves me with 43 left to see and 10 weeks (incl. this one) in which to do it. That means I need to average 4.3 movies (man I love easy math) a week. That is definitely doable. Let’s see what Spring Break does to my list.

Next up: Det Sjunde Inseglet (#79), and I’m really looking forward to that one.

I also have quite a few in queue including The Sting, City Lights, The Prestige, Paths of Glory, A Clockwork Orange, and (just for your Jennebelle) Jaws. I have no idea in what order I’ll get them or in what order I’ll watch them. But if you care, stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My little sister actually knows EVERY Jaws movie (including the awful Jaws 4) by heart and watches them every they're on TNT, etc. At least I'm only bothering you about the original!
-jennybelle

Anonymous said...

I remember finally watching Bridge Over the River Kwai after knowing nothing but the title, the setup, and that damned whistling tune. It was a revelation. A great movie.

hawk mcgee

Ex.Coll. said...

I had no idea about the tune. As soon as the movie started I thought "are you kidding me... oh wait, this must be where it comes from." IT was a great movie.