3.09.2008

Depression, Despair, Doubt . . . Damn.

I don’t know how many people go through this, I assume it’s not an insignificant number, but it hit me pretty hard this week.

I don’t know what the hell I want to do nor whether what I’m doing now is helping or hurting me.

Law School has not been easy for me. Some of the worst things that have ever happened in my life happened over these last 3 years, one of them directly attributable to me being in Law School. Maybe these were signs that I should have gotten the hell out. Oh well, it’s too late now. The fact are: (1) I’m going to graduate in May and take the bar in July; (2) I have serious doubts whether I can pass it (I guess with this much time, I really don’t have an excuse); (3) I don’t have a job lined up, (4) I don’t have much in the way of legal contacts to find a job (or at least the ones I do have haven’t expressed much of a desire to help me); (5) my networking skills suck ass; (6) my resume is decent but my grades suck; (7) I’ve limited myself to what city I want to work in and the legal market there is difficult to break into; (8) and I don’t know what to do about any of this. I used to think the solution to my problems is to suck it up and hang out a shingle – eat what I kill, but I’m not so sure anymore.

I’ve seen several people do just that, and while I knew it would be hard, seeing someone go through that is rough. Plus, they have more support than I think I would have. What’s more is that I don’t know if I have the motivation to go out on my own. The way I’ve been these last few weeks, I’d make a pretty shitty solo.

Whatever I need to do, I need to do it now.

Oh… and on a more light-hearted topic, I’m pissed that the University found a way to screw an hour out of my spring break.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, man. Hope something works out on the job front.

A said...

I think that this has been a hard year for a lot of people -- not just law students, though that doesn't help -- for some reason. It feels like there's weird general malaise in the air. Hang in there, though. Things will improve.

Anonymous said...

My partner mentor at BigFirm Houston this summer told me he was not a good law student yet he got where he was because he knew how to get things done. My opinion is that's an apt description of you; you know how to get things done (unlike most of us). Because of that trait, I have fewer concerns about your future than about most of ours. Those words are of little help right now but they're still true. Five years from now, you'll be a damn lot better off than the rest of us.

Chup

Ex.Coll. said...

Thanks for the kind words, Chup. However, I have no desire to end up at BigLaw (not to say I wouldn't take it for a year or two, but never a partner). I'm open to MidLaw or SmallLaw, but it's not open to me. As for the next 5 years, I'm pretty sure you won't be living in a box at any point; me on the other hand...

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should give up so easily. Things often change quickly and unexpectedly. Just keep going, and you'll get there. That sounds trite, but it's really what you should be doing here.