5.17.2007

the M word

I didn’t want to post this explicitly here for fear that I might jinx myself, but I think it's pretty safe to say it now. I found a job and I've already started working. Thank you CSO – NOT.

While this job is a real-life-honest-to-goodness clerkship it carries with it a virtual guarantee I won’t get an offer for permanent employment next year. Oh well… what’s a 3L Spring without some unemployment-related stress? Here’s the real shocker, this is at a firm. Yes, Ex.Coll., Mr. LawFirmsAreTheBaneOfTheLegalWorld, is working for a law firm. (And a pretty good one at that.)

So I started work and I got put on a couple of things right away. It doesn't seem like busy work, but real work. Then at about 5:15 p.m. on my first day I heard it.

I knew it was too good to be true.

I heard the M word.

Memo.

You have to understand how much I hate memos. I hate them with every fiber of my being. Literal hatred. If Memos were personified into a single individual, I’d kill him. There is a gnawing, burning, pulsing sensation in the pit of my bowels that represents my feeling towards memos.

I have one due on Monday.

No, I haven't started. Why do you ask?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the gig.

Memos get a lot easier as you do more of them. I'm not saying one enjoys them, but at least they're less painful. And that, in a nutshell, is what the practice of law is about: not enjoyment or one's sense justice, but minimizing the pain to tolerable levels.

Jamie Fenn said...

I've never encountered someone with such a hatred for memos. It's quite funny :D

(you don't have to worry, you don't know me. I'm just using this nice little feature I found: "NEXT BLOG")

Anonymous said...

Oh-oh. They're on to you. You're screwed.

Ex.Coll. said...

They are on to me, but I got a stay of execution. Something more important came up and I got one more day before they find me out for the fraud I am.

As for what came up, I wouldn't have thought it was more important, but when your name is in the firm, it's automatically more important.