2.24.2008

Movie Update II

This is going much slower than I anticipated. With the vast majority of the movies on my list running at over 2 hours, and quite a few over 3, I doubt I’ll be able to meet my goal. That said, this week I saw:

Seven Samurai (#10) – a damn good film. While this movie was over 3 hours, it kept my attention throughout. The plot was good, the action scenes were amazing, dialogue was excellent.

Metropolis (#70) – I think this is my first silent film. It too, was excellent. I think the quality of the film was good, especially since a large portion of the film is considered lost, and he film itself goes back to the 30s. I wonder how a modern silent movie would play. I doubt any actors today could pull it off. This is definitely a file worth catching if for no other reason than to see what is certainly the most, hmmmm... memorable, “erotic’ dance ever captured on film.

Once Upon a Time in the West (#19) – Another western, and probably only the 4th or 5th I’ve ever seen. I think this one was better than the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. This is also a Sergio Leone, so tGtBtU has a lot in common with this one, but I think this one’s shorter run time, made for a better movie. It was around 2.5 hours, but kept me entertained throughout, unlike tGtBtU. Another excellent film.

Dr. Strangelove . . . (#22) – The best part of my endeavor has been the exposing me to directors I’d previously never seen. Here’s another, Stanley Kubrick. This movie was nothing at all like I expected. Nothing from the plot, to the story telling, the cinematography, to the style, matched what I thought this would be. I loved this movie. An Excellent film that I highly recommend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Dr. Strenglove. That movie contains my all-time favorite movie quote: There's no fighting in the war room!

thinkc