2.02.2008

I’m a Defensive Driver

This weekend I sought to be certified as a defensive driver (thank you Austin Municipal Court).

It’s been a long time since I’ve suffered through one of these courses, and I didn’t want to do it this time, but it appears to be the much cheaper way to go in Austin. So, rather than calling in some favors to take care of my ticket, I opted for the DD course.

This one was fairly entertaining. Of course there were the bad jokes, the comparisons of who was going fastest, and who had the worst cop, but what really made this one stand out was the videos. The bulk of the course included a drivers-ed video, circa 1990. It was hosted by Christopher Reeve and featured some of that era’s finest B-list actors such as the Gilbert sister from Rosanne, Lorenzo Llamas, and various NASCAR racers. A true classic. But the centerpiece of the course was Red Asphalt V (I assume there were 4 previous). Click here for a preview.

Wile there are many other ways I would have rather spent my Saturday, seeing the video made me glad I didn’t take the online route.

No comments: