9.30.2007

Longhorn "football"

This week’s game Sucked. Sucked big. And it rained.

For the life of me I can’t figure out what the heck Mack brown is thinking. I know this is college ball, but can we fire Colt. He’s can’t throw, he can’t run, but he sure as hell can take a concussion. And what’s up with special teams? Are they really “special”? Returning not only a kick-off, but also a punt, for a touchdown is unacceptable.

I am genuinely afraid of next week and I don’t even know if I have the nerve to watch.

On a related note, after the game I needed a drink. So I hit a local watering hole to try and wash the idea of a 20 point loss away. After several rounds, none of which seemed to help, I gave up and decided to call it a night.

I walked out into the parking lot looking for my car, when I saw a guy looking pretty depressed. He was sitting on the curb of the parking lot without a friend in the world. He was next to my car so I couldn’t avoid him. By the time I got to my car, I saw it was Colt McCoy.

He looked up at me: “Why did it have to rain? I could have done better, but why was it raining?”
I explained to him as though he were a child: “It rained because God was crying.”
Colt wiped a lone tear from his cheek and asked: “Why was God crying?”
I took a knee next to him, put my hand on his shoulder, looked him square in the eye, and told him the honest truth: “Because he saw the way you were playing.”

I went home thinking I had at least done a little bit of good.

1 comment:

A said...

Your story would be more plausible if you'd been taking a stroll through the hospital, because I'm guessing that's where McCoy was last night. I know that an hour after the game he wasn't even in good enough condition to talk to the media -- they had to give a written statement instead. The way he's being used is just criminal.

On a somewhat related note, I used to run into Simms around campus every so often, and he usually looked like this -- sitting at a desk he didn't really fit in or on a bench in the hallway, by himself, usually just kind of staring at the floor. I figured he was waiting to talk to professors, but thinking back, sometimes I'd see him in hallways that were all classrooms, just sitting there. It was really awkward and sad.