7.15.2007

SmallLaw Myth #1


It is often said that at SmallLaw attorneys are not expected to work as many as hours as BigLaw. Based on my anecdotal experience, this is a myth. The small firm I'm at now expects a lot from attorneys. Around the legal community, this firm has a reputation for being thorough, and that reputation is well deserved.

The firm also pays its employees on the 1st and the 15th. When I turned in my time card fr the first half of July, it added up to 125 hours. And yes, I did take the 4th of July off.

I know that 60-65 hours a week is not much compared to what BigLaw requires of their attorneys, but I doubt its what they require of their clerks. Also, I usually go home well before the younger attorneys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

60-65 hours billed in a week is a lot for any lawyer. I think the mythical 70/80-hour work weeks of big firm lawyers are overstated. They might occur during the week or two of a trial or as a big deal is going through, but, from everybody I've spoken to, they are far from the norm.